The Section for Journalism, Media & Communication Studies at the Department of Media Studies (IMS), is seeking one (1) junior scholar for a two-year postdoctoral position, beginning January 1, 2018.
The full-time post-doctoral fellowship will be funded by the Leading Research Environment in Global Media Studies and Politics of Mediated Communication Grant awarded to the IMS Section for Media & Communication Studies by the Faculty of Humanities of Stockholm University.
The successful candidates will be required to conduct research in the field of Media & Communication Studies with a particular focus on questions related with global media and politics of popular communication. Both social sciences and humanities perspectives are considered relevant. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute 20% of their employment time to teaching and administrative duties; aid in the organization of, and participation in, research meetings, conduct primary research and contribute single and co-authored articles and reports as well as take part in pedagogical activities.
Postdoctoral positions are appointed primarily for purposes of research. Applicants are expected to hold a Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country in Media & Communication Studies (or a related field) awarded no earlier than three years prior to the deadline.
The degree should have been completed no more than three years before the deadline for applications. An older degree may be acceptable under special circumstances, which may involve sick leave, parental leave, clinical attachment, elected positions in trade unions, or similar.
In the appointment process, special attention will be given to research skills and:
- oral and written fluency in English and/or Swedish;
- knowledge on/experience working within the thematic areas of global media forms and cultures, and political aspects of mediated communication from critical and societal perspectives;
- knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- previous participation in funded research projects and experience in large research environments;
- a track record of international publications;
- administrative and pedagogical experience.
Terms of employment
The position involves full-time employment for a maximum of two years, with the possibility of extension under special circumstances. Start date 2018-01-01 or as per agreement.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from the Professor Miyase Christensen telephone:+46 70 389 20 07 email@example.com or Head of the Department, Ester Pollack, telephone: +46 70 185 02 59, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anqi Lindblom-Ahlm (Saco-S) and Lisbeth Häggberg (Fackförbundet ST and Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 20 00 (operator), and email@example.com (SEKO).
Apply for the position at Stockholm University’s recruitment system by clicking the “Apply” button. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Please include the following information with your application
- Your contact details and personal data
- Your highest degree
- Your language skills
- Contact details for 2–3 references
and, in addition, please include the following documents
- Cover letter
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience and a list of publications
- Research proposal (no more than 3 pages) describing:
– why you are interested in the field/project described in the advertisement
– why and how you wish to complete the project
– what makes you suitable for the project in question
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Letters of recommendation (no more than 3 files)
- Publications in support of your application (no more than 3 files).
The instructions for applicants are available at: Instructions – Applicants.
You are welcome to apply!
Stockholm University – our education and research produce results.
Closing date: 30/06/2017